Popping ruby red kernels at home
Bringing home a bag of popcorn kernels has a bit of an old-timey feel to it, doesn’t it? If this seems daunting, don’t stress! You’re about to make an amazing snack, from scratch! Here’s how we do it in our house.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a medium to large pot with a lid.
- Add 1/3 cup of ruby red kernels to the pot.
- Turn stove on to medium-high heat, and put the lid on your pot.
- Swirl the oil and kernels in the pot occasionally so they heat evenly.
- When popping starts continue to swirl or shake gently back and forth so the poppped popcorn doesn’t burn.
- When popping slows or stops, turn off the heat, and give a couple last shakes in case any stragglers still pop.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with melted butter, or whatever your favourite popcorn toppings are!